Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Emperor's (sort of) New Groove: Girl Talk "Feed the Animals"




Greg Gillis has risen so far above mash-up geek status that I'm not even sure I know how to accurately describe him. On his latest LP, Feed the Animals, the dude samples Temple of the Dog, for god's sake. And that's not even the most bizarre reference on the album. But really, it's not those odd choices that make Gillis's sample-crazy, laptop-aided, booty-shake tracks so striking. With this mash-up subset of the dance genre that he has helped to refine, Gillis has found a way to make music-inspired music for the sake of…music.

*****Read the full article here

2 comments:

culticonic said...

I disagree, I actually think it's pretty crappy. I enjoyed Night Ripper a lot, but this one is like "Let's see if I can jam even MORE songs and samples into any given three minute 'track,' and hopefully people will think I'm even MORE clever."

Daniel said...

I don't see that at all. The whole mash-up thing has just been done to death, so he hardly comes off as some genius with a new idea. So I think there is dedication and honesty in his work.

Also,

you are a stupid moron with an ugly face, and a big butt, and your butt smells, and you like to kiss your own butt.

<3