Monday, October 27, 2003

A Few Words On:

The Distillers- Coral Fang

Rating: 7.0 out of 10



The Distillers' Coral Fang will be one of the most underrated albums of the year. That being said, it is, however, a bit of a let down. As I have said before, I had very high hopes for this record, and to be honest, it really falls short of greatness. Instead, The Distillers have once again produced a well crafted punk record that, for the most part, colors within the lines.

Oh, there are good songs-actually great songs...."For Tonight You're Only Here To Know" is probably the best song that Brody has ever written. There are also tracks where they test how far you can really stretch the label of being "punk". The problem is that they don't stretch it enough, in my opinion. It is for that reason that, in the long run, this album will fly under the radar. I think that they can be so much more than what they are. When you listen to Coral Fang, you can see that they are starting to realize it as well.

This is not a bad album. I am actually quite fond of it. I just see wasted potential. Unfortunately this will not be the hit that I wanted it to be either. It debuted at no. 97 on the Billboard charts, and has an uphill battle but has no feet. Such a shame, I would much rather see trendy teenage girls looking at Brody, and Karen O, than Avril, and Kelly Osbourne.

No comments: